Kundalini Yoga is considered one of the most comprehensive forms of yoga today.
What is Kundalini Yoga?
Kundalini Yoga blends familiar yogic postures, dynamic movements, breathing techniques, deep relaxation, meditation, mantras and mudras into a practice that will teach you balance, self-healing and elevation.
It is an extraordinarily powerful yoga practice. In addition to the usual stretching and core work, it will help you create an aligned relationship between your body, mind, and soul. It’s a unique tool to reconnect with you inner self and align with your purpose.
Kundalini Yoga is often referred to as the yoga of “awareness” because it focuses on the expansion of your senses and intuition in order to raise individual consciousness. You will also learn about energy work and how to direct your inner flow, to remove blocks and trigger healing.
Benefits of Kundalini Yoga
Kundalini Yoga teaches you to become more mindful of your body and how to stay healthy: reinforce your immune system, enhance the vitality of your glands, strengthen your nervous system, improve your blood circulation, and make you aware of the impact of your habits, both good and bad. You will be reconnected to your body and re-learn to listen within. This form of yoga opens pathways fostering profound personal transformation and the overcoming of deep emotional, mental and physical blocks.
One of my favorite quotes defines authentic healing as “the distance between who you are supposed to be and who you’ve become is the amount of disease, suffering and depression you manifest in your life to compel you to close the gap.” – Siri Atma S. Khalsa, MD in Waves of Healing
Kundalini Yoga draws on time-honored knowledge and wisdom, and is so rich that you can work on any aspect of yourself.
Examples of sets:
- Basic Spinal Energy: works systematically on the flexibility of the spine
- Kriya to Throw Off Stress: helps your body to get rid of stress and tension
- Nabhi Kriya: focuses on developing the strength of the navel point
- Kriya for Disease Resistance: reinforces your immune and elimination systems
- Pituitary Gland Series: balances your hormonal system
- Stress Set for the Adrenals and Kidneys: stimulates the adrenals and kidneys
- Kriya to Relax and Release Fear: releases fears through deep relaxation
- New Lungs and Circulation: revitalizes the lungs and improves blood circulation
- Kriya for Relieving Inner Anger: anger is related to the liver, this set works on both
- Kriya for a Calm and Open Heart: opens the heart chakra
No previous experience in yoga is required for you to participate in a Kundalini Yoga class. Honor yourself, always go at your own pace, listen to your body and ask for modifications if needed. Always let the teacher know if you have a medical condition or are pregnant before joining a class.
Kundalini Yoga is a blissful and rewarding practice! Just give it a try.
Learn more about Kundalini Yoga through these resources.